August 7, 2014
Men at the recruiting tent, Toronto Armouries, circa 1914. Over 300,000 men entered the military after Canada joined the Great War on 4 August 1914.
Demolished in 1963, the Toronto Armouries were designed by the chief architect of the Dominion, Thomas Fuller, and were for nearly 70 years the place where men going to war signed up and trained before being sent overseas. Men were recruited and mustered there for the South African War and two World Wars.
Image: City of Toronto Archives. Fonds 1244, Item 735A.